Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Omaha ,NE

How to Verify a Professional's License in Omaha?

The Nebraska Department of Labor issues professional licenses to all contractors and subcontractors operating in Omaha. In addition to this, the Omaha Planning Department offers city-issued licenses to four categories of building professionals eligible to practice in the city. It is essential to verify that relevant state and city licensing agencies have duly licensed the professionals that you intend to hire. You can verify state-licensed professionals by using the search contractors platform maintained by the Nebraska Department of Labor. To verify professionals have obtained the city-issued license, you can contact the Omaha Planning Department at (402) 444-5350, or you can visit the Planning Department in person at:

  • 1819 Farnam Street
  • Suite 1100
  • Omaha, NE 68183-1100

Additionally, Omaha Planning Department, through its Permits and Inspections Division, issues requisite permits for various types of projects in Omaha. If your intended projects involve the construction or alteration of residential or commercial buildings, you need to apply for the required permits from the city's permits division. For further inquiries on the specific types of permits that you need for your intended projects, you can contact the city's Permits and Inspections Division at (402) 444-5350 or via email. Alternatively, you can visit the physical location of the Omaha Planning Department at the address provided above.

Nebraska Contractor License Search:

Do Omaha Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Omaha has several neighborhood organizations and homeowner associations voluntarily set up by community members. However, these neighborhood organizations and homeowner associations do not have the power to issue permits to residents of Omaha. You can utilize the city's neighborhood directory or the city's neighborhood organizations map to access information on these organizations. You can also direct questions concerning these homeowner's associations to the Douglas County Register of Deeds at (402) 444-7159.

Registered neighborhood organizations in Omaha have the opportunity to apply for city grants to fund neighborhood proposed projects. In May 2021, eleven neighborhood organizations received $57,722 grants from the city's Mayor as part of the COVID-19 pandemic recovery project. In addition, neighborhood organizations foster good relationships between the city and the community members, which facilitates neighborhood development. For example, the Habitat Omaha's Neighborhood Revitalization (NR) Program, in conjunction with several neighborhood associations, worked to address community needs and neighborhood revitalization by constructing new homes, critical home repairs, beautification projects, and demolitions in neighborhoods like Deer Park, Adams Park, Kountze Park, and Miller Park.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Omaha?

You can file complaints concerning unfair business practices in Omaha with the Consumer Protection Office of the Nebraska Attorney General's office. To file a complaint, you can complete an online complaint form or you can download an English or Spanish complaint form, and send the completed form via mail to the address on the top left corner. The Consumer Protection Office will determine if your complaint is under their jurisdiction, and if it is, you may need to submit yourself for a dispute resolution process. If the complaint is outside the jurisdiction of the Consumer Protection Office, it will be forwarded to the appropriate agency for action. If you intend to seek monetary claims against the business or if you are not satisfied with the conclusion of the dispute resolution process, you can contact a private attorney to help you file a civil lawsuit. The Douglas County District Court has general jurisdiction over all civil matters in Omaha. However, if your claim is $3900 or less, you can file a small claims action at the Douglas County Court.

Professions in Omaha